Wednesday, October 2, 2013

DIY Wall Cubby

My family is currently in the process of moving, so my mom BEGS me to take anything and everything  from our house back to school whenever I visit. I came back from one trip home with a dozen new items from my house, among them were eight boxes that each fit inside one another like Matryoshka dolls. I immediately decided that I'd put them together, hang them, and put trinkets on all of the levels. 


The Process:
1. First, I had to figure out how I wanted to place them together. After a couple different designs I finally settled on the order in the above picture. 
2. Next came staining. It took three coats and a span of three days to get them the color I wanted. I used Minway Polyshades Stain in Honey Satin.
3. Once they were fully dry, I put them back in the order I planned for them and grabbed my hot glue gun. This method of gluing the sides to one another is perhaps not the most reliable, but I wanted to finish them quickly and as least costly as possible. Another way would be to fasten them together with screws, but I already had a glue gun and glue so I figured that it would work just as well.
4. My hanging method is also a little questionable, but my landlord advised against putting too many holes in the wall, so I turned to trusty command strips. Considering that I wanted to put a decent amount of weight in these cubbies, I bought a package of 12 velcro command strips and used them all. I put one strip on each of the three smallest boxes, three on the largest box, and dispersed the remaining command strips on the other boxes. It has been hanging in my room for at least two months now and hasn't budged, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
5. The fifth and final step was just hanging the boxes on the wall.
Finis!


I filled the boxes with pictures, candles (not to be burned obviously), and other trinkets. I also ended up buying little gold hooks that I screwed into the largest bottom box so that it could double as a necklace holder. 
Also, I recently found a website that sells honeycomb shaped wall cubbies, here, that I'm absolutely in love with, but one is enough for me.


6 comments:

  1. My niece did a project similar to this a few months ago. Instead of squares she made octagon shaped ones, painted them then pieced them together to look like a honeycomb shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the honeycomb look! I would have loved to have done that, but these boxes were free, and I definitely can't complain about that!

      Delete
  2. that is awesome! your family sounds like mine-whenever they clean out a closet or garage or something, they try and pass things off to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon I'll have to find someone to pass on all the stuff that's been passed on to me, it's a vicious circle!

      Delete
  3. that is genius! What a brilliant idea.

    thanks for your comment on my blog, I couldn't reply as you are a no-reply blogger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!:) I had no idea, I'll have to fix that thanks for letting me know!

      Delete